Monday, February 28, 2005

~Children and The Tale of a Pillow~

During class today, the kids were assigned 15 min of playtime- a standard routine. They were left to their own devices which wasn't too many...some lego blocks, books, puzzles- that sort of stuff. Ten mins and alot of noise later, this girl thrusted a small container of building blocks in my face and proclaimed: "this bowl of rice is for you, t'cher. finish it ok?" In the container was one-half of a pencil case. 'This is your scoop, t'cher. Eat now please?" she said before demonstrating how to use the 'spoon'. Feeling pressured, I caved in.

They never fail to surprise me with the things they say and do. Kids do have very active imagination and can make toys out of the most mundane things. Girls usually make cooking toys (masak masak*) and boys construct robots and planes that dip to the ground, complete with sound effects.

My four year old cousin, Nicole, likes to play pretend. Usually, she wears this ridiculous plastic high heels and carry this dainty winnie-the-pooh handbag and parade around the house in circles, going about her 'working routine'. She can get very busy. So everywhere she went, she carried that worn-out winnie-pooh bag which should have retired a long time ago. Children are funny people.

Think about it. When you were younger, did you ever had your own winnie-pooh bag that followed wherever you went? This prized possession can come in so many forms- a small blanket, a pillow, pacifier, bag, a rag doll..the list goes on. Whatever happened to it?

For me, it was a huge, soft, pink pillow. And a smelly one at that. Of course to me, the pillow was aromatherapy...even if it smelled like history. Out of habit, I would always pluck the corners of the pillow, thumb in mouth, and rub the pillow edges till i fall asleep. But it was a weird pillow, i remembered feeling a big nail inside the pillow and i always wondered what else was stored in between the wool. I tied a rubberband around the nail. I had it for ten years and i swear i gave it a name.

That all changed when my father read somewhere that pillows shouldnt be kept for more than 5 years. Apparently, they become a breeding haven for germs. He then dropped the bomb: " Throw away lah.. i'm going to throw it away first thing tomorrow morning".

I panicked only for a moment. Then I protested. Didn't work. Next morning, i woke up early and stuffed the fat pillow into my school bag, while i carried my books in a separate bag. I shamelessly brought her to school that day. Of course my father was puzzled about the whereabouts of that old pillow. I lied, saying that i had thrown it away. Operation Pillow was going smoothly so far.

My lie caught up with me as soon as the pillow mysteriously re-emerged in the house. And my father very quickly outsmarted me. He wasn't going to tell me when he was throwing it away. But threw away he did. Needless to say, i was devastated. Being a petty kid, I did not talk to my father for 2 days. And he bribed me with a meagre $2. Again, I caved in.

My old friend died just like that. She could never be replace and i never did try.

* What's the point of this story? Sorry, I don't have one. I just wanted to write something...anything. So this is it. Let's dedicate a moment to our 'special friends' and hear about your prized possession.

9 Comments:

Blogger jadebangle said...

yarh!!! like totally!! its like me and my watermelon and pearl blouse!!! i wanted wear it everyday as a kid...and refused to go out unless my mom let me wear it!!!!!!!!!!!!! weirdo...haha

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 9:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a 'pillow' too. As I’m sure most of us do. Its something we cling on to. Something that gives us comfort. That familiar sight, that reassuring smell. Our little comfort zone. One of my men, infantry rifle man at that, has one. He hasn’t heard the end of it and probably never will from the rest of his platoon but he keeps it nonetheless. Well back to my ’pillow’. I call it muj. Muj is a her and I also take her wherever I go. Well at least I try. She has a smell that I like, gives me reassurance when I need it and I must say is my comfort zone if I ever had one. Honestly I would be lost without her this 'pillow' of mine.

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 11:05:00 PM  
Blogger vevck said...

Thanks! for droping by and leaving your comments.

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 12:24:00 PM  
Blogger compassioNAT said...

jadebangle-whatever became of your blouse? watermelon and pearl blouse?? very adventurous fashion sense..

vevck, thanks for dropping by. i would reccomend you site to fellow bloggers and friends..irs great to be able to go on some adventures and come out of it a few shots richer. People need to get in touch with nature more..perhaps then, they will be less environmental problems.

Thursday, March 03, 2005 10:09:00 AM  
Blogger compassioNAT said...

Dear ranger kamahl,

i feel most fortunate to be that 'pillow muj'. knowing how private you're, i'm pleasantly surprised you left that message. you're a wonderful person. thanks dear:)

Thursday, March 03, 2005 10:13:00 AM  
Blogger Janet said...

I don't remember anything from my childhood but my daughter has Blankie. Blankie has gotten her to sleep everynight since she was about 6 months old. That thing has already been mended and mended.

And about kids being able to make anything into a toy...comes in really handy when nothing is around and the kid is bored. Encourage that creative thinking, helps you out in countless lines and long car trips!

Thursday, March 03, 2005 11:34:00 AM  
Blogger vevck said...

Well i am flattered by what you have mentioned that you would recommened some friends about my blog.

Very true, that in this present age of Globalization there are few of them who actually care for Environment or Nature in general. Hope we retain few of the resources of Mother Earth so that future generations too can enjoy.

I did drop a mail on your hotmail ID, did u get that?

Thursday, March 03, 2005 12:18:00 PM  
Blogger compassioNAT said...

dear janet,your comments brought back memories of how my younger bro used to keep this old blanket (ka-ka). infact, they were inseparable. thankfully, he did outgrow it.

vevck, sure i got your email and was planning a reply..meanwhile, i visited your blog again. very interesting stuff you got there. forests are treasures :)

Thursday, March 03, 2005 1:02:00 PM  
Blogger vevck said...

I do agree with you that forests are treasures of every nation. We need to conserve them for sustaining life for good.

Friday, March 04, 2005 12:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home