Friday, March 11, 2005

The Sum of All Fears= A State of Paranoia

I've a confession. I'm positively paranoid. You'll never guess it by looking at me but I've deep-seated irrational fears. Tonight, I want to take them out of the closet.

On the Plane
    For someone who enjoys light travelling, I have an unlikely phobia of taking flights. While that does not happen very often because i haven't flew to that many places, I'm always freaked out during takes offs and landings. Last November, as Kamahl and I took a short trip to Bangkok, I almost burst into tears during the take off...I thought that i was definitely going to die. That, that was THE night.

    In the Loo
      While i did survive that mentally fatal trip, I've never quite found a way to cope with my other fears. Eversince the SARs outbreak here in 2003, I've been obssessed with my personal hygiene..not that I was unhygenic before just that now, i'm SUPER paranoid, like Howard Hughs in The Aviator. I dislike visiting public toilets and imagine all kinds of germs and viruses lurking near and below the toilet bowl. I start to think that if i didn't die on the plane, I would die of some other viruses i didnt even know i caught from which toilet. After every handwash, i dread to touch the doorhandle and always wished that someone else was standing on the other end to push it for me. I know it's disgusting conduct, but i told you i had irrational fears. Sometimes i do the 'two second dash' where i open the door first, rush to the tap and in a swift, dash out before the toilet door closes.

      The Six Pillars

        Two weeks back, I met up with a friend who is an insurance agent. Big mistake. Now, i don't typically meet up with insurance agents. Infact, i habitually avoid people who try to sell me anything (because i NEVER do buy). But this was different. Jana, the agent, was an old friend. We met up and she coerced me into filling up some ten page form before rambling on about the 'six pillars'. The six pillars refers to accidental, critical illness and life coverage. I really don't remember them all. All i could recall was how freaked out i was thinking of hospital bills and how I was one critical illness away from bankruptcy. Yes, it was a valid fear, but really, at 22, i don't want to be burden with the anxiety of the six pillars. One pole is good enough.

        The Newspaper
          I pride myself as a very 'informed' person because i read the newspaper everyday..i'm talking StraitsTimes..not that 'Singapore's No 1 tabloid.' It's contradictory but the dailies do induce fear in me too. Every plane crash, natural disaster, bird or chicken outbreak, terrorist movement is subconsciously registered in my head, causing unnecessary anxiety. Infact, I think i feel more fearful, down and sad after every read. Btw, have you realised that many medical breakthroughs today becomes the the next medical 'breakdowns' tomorrow? Maybe, i should stop reading the papers :) My lecturer used to say that for newspapers, "Good news is no news and bad news is good news.' He was a wise man.

          Obviously i hope to put an end to all these irrational fears soon..because i can never imagine a life with no flights, jana, public toilets or newspaper. i just need to learn to eliminate them, one by one, pillar by pillar. Just that right now, i feel like a 52 year old, trapped in a 22-year-old that looks like a 19-year-old.

          Now, what are your fears?

          19 Comments:

          Blogger Anonymous Poet said...

          I fear that no one will understand what I write. But, apparently, I need not worry, as you seem to like it!

          Saturday, March 12, 2005 11:44:00 PM  
          Blogger Janet said...

          Not too many fears here: snakes, spiders big enough to grow fur, that something will happen to my daughter, roller coasters.

          But if you ask about worries...that's a different story.

          Sunday, March 13, 2005 11:52:00 AM  
          Blogger Neets said...

          i am sooo glad you talked about this today. its a coincidence that i readyour blog right after telling my boss and collegue that i seem to be a 24 yr old woman reacting like a 18/19-yr old! i have been thinkin about my self lately, and about all the things that unnecessarily hold me back from doing a lot of other things in life that i could do. actually this introspection is really suffocating me- sometimes i wonder what should i do? sometimes i feel lost. your writing down your issues just gave me an idea- perhaps , i should get a piece of paper and try to seriously deal with each of my issues. i know its coinicdence that brings me here. and its coincidence that you wrote something that has turned into light at the end of a tunnel. i beileve that somehow someone is always there to get you out of a situation.. and in this case you are unconsciously getting out of my misery- thank you CompassioNAT . :) nitaarvind@rediffmail.com

          Tuesday, March 15, 2005 9:35:00 PM  
          Blogger Unknown said...

          hi my friend...
          I am sorry that I did not update my blog for a long time... now it is updated you can check it... thanks for ur support...
          keep in touch
          .::SINA::.

          Wednesday, March 16, 2005 5:50:00 AM  
          Blogger Static Compost said...

          Hello, I thougth I would drop you a commet thanking you for taking part in my blog. No way! your from singapore?! I have always wanted to go to Singapore I hear it is amazing!

          Interesting topic, Paranoia: It is one of the many natural but potentially detructive human emotions like denial, fear. I think I just stumbled upon a future Post idea. Anyway I hope to catch you from blog to blog.

          Wednesday, March 16, 2005 7:32:00 AM  
          Blogger Melissa Muldoon said...

          When I was a kid I used to be deathly afraid of things under the bed...not so much when I was in the bed only when I got out of bed in the middle of the night and then had to get back in....I would imagine long fingers reaching out to snatch me...so of course the only rational thing to do was to jump about five feet from the door to the bed so that nothing could grab hold of me.

          When I was a kid flying on an airplane was the ultimate fun thing one could do. I loved the rush of take off and souring above the pretty clouds. Now I hesitate a bit, the thrill has diminished and the innocent joy of flying is lost forever. I think a little bit too much about things that could happen...

          Now, I fear the passage of time...it rushes by so quickly, people change, kids grow up, things don't stay the same...it is good and bad, but it makes me sad and sometimes a little panicky that we have such a short visit on the planet earth...

          (oh, and every now and then I have the irrational fear that all the shelves in the pantry are going to fall down, and everything on them will fall to the ground! kind of weird! : - )

          Wednesday, March 16, 2005 12:44:00 PM  
          Blogger compassioNAT said...

          Hi friends, sorry i've not been replying to your comments...work has kept me busy and i've not checked my blog in 3 days.. thank you all for your comments.

          Static compost, i'm so pleased you finally decided to leave a message.. i highly recommend your blog...i can never write anything political thou i love to take part in that sort of discussions and you've brought up some interesting social issues on your blog. Thanks everyone :)

          Wednesday, March 16, 2005 9:02:00 PM  
          Blogger compassioNAT said...

          This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

          Wednesday, March 16, 2005 9:02:00 PM  
          Blogger compassioNAT said...

          This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

          Wednesday, March 16, 2005 9:02:00 PM  
          Blogger compassioNAT said...

          This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

          Wednesday, March 16, 2005 9:03:00 PM  
          Blogger compassioNAT said...

          This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

          Wednesday, March 16, 2005 9:03:00 PM  
          Blogger compassioNAT said...

          This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

          Wednesday, March 16, 2005 9:04:00 PM  
          Blogger compassioNAT said...

          This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

          Wednesday, March 16, 2005 9:30:00 PM  
          Blogger compassioNAT said...

          This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

          Wednesday, March 16, 2005 9:32:00 PM  
          Blogger compassioNAT said...

          Nita, thank you for your kind comments.. i think to a certain extend, fear is natural and perhaps even healthy. fear keeps us away from danger for instance. it become unhealthy when it prevents us from doing the things we always wanted to do or when it hold us back. I definately agree that it can suffocate us. i was much more fearless as a kid..now, i'm fearful and timid and live less as a result of that.
          Penning down your fears sounds like a good idea :)good luck with that!

          Wednesday, March 16, 2005 9:32:00 PM  
          Blogger compassioNAT said...

          Hi janet...i know of many people who have a great phobia of snakes. the funny thing is, snakes really can't be bothered with human beings..they'll much rather be left alone. they're really very lazy creatures.i hope that helped.

          melissa, (and i know you and janet are great pals :)) i totally agree that growing up has alot to do with how we became so fearful..i'm sure you're reminded of that everytime you watch your kids play.i also think that paranoia is largely our own undoing..we think too much (of all the wrong things).

          Wednesday, March 16, 2005 9:43:00 PM  
          Blogger Static Compost said...

          Thank you, its quite a compliment: Please return to my blog and incourage others to come and give thier input. Isn't it great that blogger gives us this "home" on the internet to interact with eachother? Big ups to whoever started the community.

          Thursday, March 17, 2005 8:14:00 AM  
          Blogger Unknown said...

          Hi my friend
          this is a message to inform you that I updated my blog and I wrote some thing that I think maybe you will really wonder if you read them.
          keep in touch, bye
          .::SINA::.

          Thursday, March 17, 2005 8:28:00 AM  
          Blogger compassioNAT said...

          SC, yes, i'm grateful whoever came up with the idea of blogging..it really opened my eyes to how others think and express. i'm eargerly awaiting your next post.

          little boy! i think the best way to get people to read your blog is to read and leave some comments about their entries...(it could improve your english too...although your eng is already very good) :) good luck for your exams by the way.

          cheers,
          natalie

          Saturday, March 19, 2005 12:13:00 AM  

          Post a Comment

          << Home