Wednesday, May 04, 2005

what's the big hoo-haa??

Bloggers have been in the news lately. Mostly, negative publicity, I must add. Some local scholar based in the States decided to post some racist remarks on his blog and got some mud for it (here and abroad, in the US).
And there has been some issues about bloggers not taking responsibility for what they post, running the risk of getting sued. (I think most bloggers know better than to name names anyway.)

So...some professor in some university decided to write a long column in which he goes into details about how some bloggers assume 'a different persona' on their blogs and how some of them use their blogs as a means of stabbing people behind (or in front) of their backs. He touched briefly on the positives of keeping a blog but did not elaborate. I just remembered thinking..." this could only come from a non-blogger who clearly doesn't know his subject very well."

Starting this blog has affirmed my identity. It has become an extension of myself since this is where I express my thoughts and opinions quite freely. I can be myself on Dwellings, more than I can be myself in the office, or even at home sometimes!

Since starting this blog in Jan, I've...

- Made several new friends I would NEVER have otherwise met
- Keep in touch with old friends
- Hone my writing skills and mind
- Discovered an avenue to just let go and indulge
- Found support in the most unlikely places


I"ve also visited blogs where

- Bloggers share their interests and passions
- Share their views on political, societal issues
- Showcase their talent for poetry
- Find likeminded people who's gone through a similar emotional ordeal


I'm sure that for most people (besides that scholar), blogging has been more of a positive experience.
So really, what's the big hoo-haa? People like professors and scholars should just relax.

11 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

i guess the biggest advantage a blog gives you is freedom - you can be exactly who u want to be, write what u want, when u want, and how u want. it's ur life, and ur blog.

that said, there is a basic confidentiality agreement that u sign - between friends, between family, between corporates, watever. u just dont spill someone's secrets, especially when u know that person isn't gonna like it. so when u sidestep that, ur likely to get into trouble.

ultimately, blogging is not a crime. but what u write in there - make sure it's not remotely close to being confidential :-)

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 4:06:00 PM  
Blogger compassioNAT said...

yes, bloggin, to a good extent gives us freedom- but all freedom must be handled with care! (like freedom of speech, right?)

Basically, like you said, there's an unspoken rule not to hit below the belt and share confidential info, secrets and so on. That's not too difficult isnt it? Just don't point fingers and name names.

Basic human decency also means that we write, as much as possible, without offence to another party, isnt it? if I know what i'm going to post may sound offensive,I don't post it altogether.

I just think the professor shouldnt have been so narrow as to think people make use of their blogs for all the wrong reasons.

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 4:40:00 PM  
Blogger Enchanted Mind said...

Well, I started the blog to improve my syncrinisation between thinking and writing - to form coherent sentences, and organize my thoughts....

And learnt that its more to it...I ahve liked it...but of late, I'm also seeing that this has become a place for few perverts whom you find in chat rooms a place to step their foot on !

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 11:57:00 PM  
Blogger compassioNAT said...

Phantom,

The way you talk reminds me of my very close friend, Liz. She always talking about coherence in thoughts...about making sense and how she wants to have the 'clarity of mind'.

Well, these are important stuff arent they? And a blog does help you achieve some of that.

Oh yes...perverts in chatrooms have been making their rounds in the news. but blogs too?? wow...they're really spoiling the market arent they?

Thursday, May 05, 2005 11:14:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello :)

Thursday, May 05, 2005 12:38:00 PM  
Blogger compassioNAT said...

My dear Ranger,

You really are a man of few words arent you? Your identity is not safe with me.I know who you are ;)

Have a fabulous day.

Thursday, May 05, 2005 1:12:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sure I assume a different name to post under. But I am free in the fact that my real name is Amanda or Mandie.
The title of my blog I believe should say it all because it very truthfully tells what you will be reading: Confessions of a girl on her way home...
I think that pretty well says it doesnt it? I openly express my joys, sorrows, love, lack of love, intrests, passions and skills on Confessions. Its just my outlet for creativity and a place to get things off my chest. I have a real ability to free my soul on this blog.
I have met some of the most wonderful people. Nat included. I wouldnt trade this experience for anything. Confessions was born out of some real serious heart ache. James started one also and recently moved his out of disdain for something I said. I regret doing that to him. I believe that if your blog offends some one, it probably wasnt meant to. These things are meant to give you an outlet. Most for creativity. But I use mine as a way to express things I dont verbally.
That professor needs to really seriously look at the blogs people keep like ours. The ones that bare souls, and express creativity and encourage some enlightenment. He would learn a thing or two that is for sure.

Thursday, May 05, 2005 5:51:00 PM  
Blogger compassioNAT said...

Yes, Mandie, i think you know this entry described alot about you. I was definitely thinking of you when i wrote it.

Confessions of a girl on her way home is a great title.(A mouthful,no less!) I am at my most thoughtful when i'm on my way back home from work too.

Like you said, blogs are a great outlet.You can be yourself..the floor is yours for you to freely express. It is so different from verbalising your thoughts..penning it out sorts of casts things into stone, so that you see it in a different perspective. Just try reading your own previous entries..i'm quite sure you get a different feeling everytime you re-read what you wrote.

Well written comment. I know a heartfelt comment when i see one. Thanks for it :)

Thursday, May 05, 2005 11:30:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You know I go back and read and laugh, sometimes cry. Some of it makes me laugh at my self for being so nieve and stupid. Some cry cause I can still feel the pain I felt upon writing. But it indeed helps me to spit it out.
You should have seen the original title.. It was half whitty and stupid but attention getting thats for sure!

Friday, May 06, 2005 3:22:00 PM  
Blogger vevck said...

Hi Nat!,

I thot of leaving a comment, but then i had lot more to say that comment so i have a blog on the topic of 'Blogging' itself;).

http://vevck.blogspot.com/2005/05/world-of-blogging.html

Saturday, May 07, 2005 2:56:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

good idea there viv!

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 3:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home