Monday, August 15, 2005

Lacking the om factor!

After 3 years of contemplation (more like procastination) I finally hit the mat and tried the much- talked- about yoga. A colleague and I had originally signed up for a fusion dance class, but it was cancelled at the last minute. Not wanting to waste the trip, we settled for the next available slot for multi-level yoga (read 'advanced yoga').

How is it that people make yoga look so easy? The yoga master could have reached nirvana and I would have believed it. Hailing from India, he is a strong man with a short stature. During the one hour lesson, he taught us to do 'stunts' like 'topsy turvy' and 'sun salutation'.

To do topsy turvy, we had to lie on our mats, raise our legs as high as possible and then use our arms to support our back as our legs hang (straight!) in the air. Obviously, to do this, you need very strong arms. Sensing my inexperience, the master walks over to me and used his one arm to lift my two legs high.

'Use some strength girl, use your arms!' he barks before lifting me even higher, like I was some feather. And he holds me in this uncomfortable position waiting for me to gather strength in my arms. 'Now relax and use your arms!' he barks again as I shuffle around trying to find some balance... I don't find any. As he looks down at me, I say, half-giggling 'I can't do it. I am going to fall!' Sensing how hopeless I was, he finally freed my legs, shook his head and walked to the next struggling disciple. I return to lying down lazily on the mat again.

Then came 'sun salutation'. There was no sun to speak of seeing how it was evening time and we were indoors. We just simply posture ourselves so that it looks like we're receiving the sun :). That was easy. The master didn't need to bark at me for that. But he consistently looked in my direction. The weakest link was easy to spot. And so I go through the rest of the lesson like that, red-faced and smiling rather stupidly. Didn't help that the lady in purple beside me was such a pro. Her face was always so screwed up with intensity and concentration.

I can't say my first attempt at yoga was a breeze. (Far from it!) Nor can I say I have done much justice to yoga and its practitioners. To begin with, I was in the wrong class and very ill-prepared. But I did enjoy myself tremendously during the class. All that stretching and flexing did me some good. I was a bag of loose bones afterwards but it was good while it lasted. What I do know now is that the next time I try yoga, I'll definitely save myself some embarassment and sign up at the beginners level.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

the teacher could have just lifted you up with his finger nat. hahahahah! and he might have go "oh girl, you're lighter than a piece of paper"

Wednesday, August 17, 2005 10:10:00 PM  
Blogger compassioNAT said...

tristan,tristan, you're not much of a heavy-weight either. Hump! It's a pot calling the kettle black! (wahahaha)

Wednesday, August 17, 2005 10:31:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha. I'm weighing 5x kg ok! That's the reason why I can pass my pull up. *giggles*
And the "hump hump" thingy sure reminds me of raymond!

BE ORIGINAL. Hump!!!

Thursday, August 18, 2005 12:50:00 AM  
Blogger wookie said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Thursday, August 18, 2005 9:47:00 PM  
Blogger wookie said...

enroll yourself for some breathing techniques in yoga-they are worth a try.

Thursday, August 18, 2005 9:48:00 PM  
Blogger Enchanted Mind said...

??? Yoga teacher barking at you !!!
Unbelievable ......probably he shd start learning some meditation *hehehe*...

but believe me sometimes taking things too far at the start spoils the fun...they say Yoga is great (IDK, havent tried before) ...probably learn from the start and u might enjoy it more....but all in all, its about continous practice......

Friday, August 19, 2005 12:32:00 PM  
Blogger compassioNAT said...

Hey wookie, i've heard alot about the yoga breathing techniques too. suppose to do wonders.

Hey phantom, when it comes to yoga and any other sports, it always boils down to consistency and discipline doesnt it? That's when you really reap the benefits for your hardwork.

And that is exactly the problem for me. I'm just very irregular when it comes to exercise.But i definitely would like to try out basic yoga..

meanwhile, stay on your track for your tennis lessons! (the fact that you seem to enjoy it so much should make that alot easier.)

Friday, August 19, 2005 6:40:00 PM  
Blogger juliana said...

yeah, I always heard it was harder than it looks. I wouldn't want to exercise that way personally. I like to move when I exercise, work up a sweat you know, so a couple years ago I took African dancing classes. Those were really fun! Give it a try if you can.

Saturday, August 20, 2005 8:14:00 PM  
Blogger Static Compost said...

It is good that you found something you enjoy, while yoga isn't necessarily my cup of tea, we all need something in our lives that we guinely enjoy. It whats allows us to do those thing we don't enjoy like work.

Sunday, August 21, 2005 10:26:00 AM  
Blogger compassioNAT said...

Thanks guys,

If you ask me, i much prefer outdoor sports like cycling, swimming etc.. where part of the enjoyment comes from just being outdoors with some scenery, fresh air (instead of air-con)and a good old sweat-out! I just tried out yoga to see what it'll be like.

Aru, thanks but I finished Half blood prince last night. I can't wait for the seventh book already!I plan on re-reading some of the previous titles.

(For the sake of those who've yet to finish the book, i suggest we keep the identity of the prince to ourselves!!! they'll thank us for it!)

Monday, August 22, 2005 5:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home