Tuesday, August 02, 2005

oh harry!

(This entry does not discuss the contents of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. And for the benefit of those who have yet to finish the book, please do not spoil our surprise by revealing anything remotely associated to JK Rowling's latest book ;) We are so dying to find out, ourselves!)

I'm a very pissed girl these days. Pissed because I have been deprived of my latest harry potter book- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. I was reading it halfway when my brother decided to loan it to his girlfriend! That really sucked big time on two counts- 1) I can't read it now that I have no access to it 2) My brother thinks his girlfriend is more important than his own blood and kin! Having said that, I must confess that the book belongs to him and he is free to choose whomever he wants to loan it to. (Knowing that does not change the fact that it sucks).

I'm sorry to complain about something as trivial as this (comparing this to the grand scheme of the world and its endless problems) but any potter fan worth his/her salt will feel the same frustrations as I did. I had planned to read it every evening after work and while commuting to work. So now that it's no longer with me, everything else has fallen short of that kind of entertainment Harry Potter does for me. And that feeling, frankly, sucks.

The phenomenon that is Harry Potter has truly taken the world by storm. Just look at the fuss created from its launch and how JK Rowling goes about making her millions in that one weekend the book was launched (on top of that millions already earned from her previous potter titles). Her wild success extends beyond those thick profit lines...just look at what pottermania has done to me! I'm planning my schedule around it, screaming at my brother for sneaking that book out of my room and now, I have the cheek to blog about this...I'm practically obsessed. (I own all the previous five titles and the movie collection. I'm just short of dressing up as a witch and zooming around in a Nimbus broom playing Quidditch.)

As I was just commenting on Janet's blog, I too wonder aloud what it is about Harry that has so captured our hearts and imagination, leaving us all spellbound (literally) and craving for more. Oh harry, if only you were not make-believe, you would know just how special you are!

13 Comments:

Blogger compassioNAT said...

Hi Chris,

Wow! why didn't I think of that?
Let's see...maybe its because it is indeed a very duh (gasp!)solution. Why would i fork out another $40 for a potter book when my brother already has one? That would mean a duplicate copy and an extra $40. Alas! This is not a solution at all.

I would rather wait for his girlfren to hurry finish up the book and then slip it into my fine collection and count it as my own!

*winks*

Tuesday, August 02, 2005 8:57:00 PM  
Blogger juliana said...

does it really cost 40? Because my sister got hers for 17. I guess it depends where you are and how soon after they come out you buy it. I just started it myself but I haven't reached anything good yet. Have fun!

Tuesday, August 02, 2005 11:15:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

potter rules, simply becuz he's in ur mind. the book works ur imagination overtime, and makes sure u enjoy every game of Quidditch as much as they do :-) brilliant writing, thats what i'd attribute pottermania to :-)

Tuesday, August 02, 2005 11:22:00 PM  
Blogger compassioNAT said...

Hi Juliana,

Yes,the tricky thing about currrency. US$17 is about equivalent to S$30 odd dollars.

A lot also depends on when you buy the book. I bought order of the phoenix for S$9.90...brand new! But of course that was way after the launch when the hype had died down. You enjoy the book!

Hey Chi,

POTTER RULES, POTTER ROCKS! Quidditch is my fave fictional sport! They also make up some of the most exciting reading of potterbooks. Glad you enjoyed this post :)

(PS the photos on my blog do take a while to load up. The image sizes are pretty large. I havent really got down to downsizing them...I guess i ought to!)

Wednesday, August 03, 2005 12:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no...not you too! Sigh..the whole world and its Uncle is upto its gills reading Potter! Ravi *sighing*!

Wednesday, August 03, 2005 5:50:00 PM  
Blogger juliana said...

Where are you located? I guess that would then explain to me the "S" in S$. Sorry, I guess I kinda assumed you where in the states.

Wednesday, August 03, 2005 10:52:00 PM  
Blogger Enchanted Mind said...

Me hasnt read Potter yet !!!
R u staring at me like I'm some completely depived poor soul lurking arnd ???*laughing away to glory*...stop that stare and get back to work, now that u dont have Harry Potter !!!
But yes, I'll read it soon sometime these days!! Given that I'll post something dedicated to you on my photo blog !!!

Wednesday, August 03, 2005 11:54:00 PM  
Blogger Enchanted Mind said...

AH, read my comment again,
My grammar sucks !!! :-(

Wednesday, August 03, 2005 11:55:00 PM  
Blogger compassioNAT said...

Hi Juliana,

I'm located in Singapore in southeast asia.

Phantom, thanks for the photo dedication! That's a first. I'll check it out.

I only started reading harry potter last year..once you get started, it'll be hard to stop. Life nearly came to a standstill once i started reading it :)So Ravi, that applies to you too.

Thursday, August 04, 2005 4:09:00 PM  
Blogger compassioNAT said...

Ranger, you know me well enough to know that i'll never stand in a queue for hello kitty...or a potter book for that matter. While i'm a big fan of harry potter, i'll never wake up at 6am just to stand hours in a queue! haha..that's not just obsessed, that's insane ;)

Yes, the movie sounds good..(apart from the fact that that is another 2-3 years in waiting!)

Thursday, August 04, 2005 6:23:00 PM  
Blogger Enchanted Mind said...

check Bim-Bam

Friday, August 05, 2005 10:41:00 AM  
Blogger vevck said...

I love reading books, but some how i am not hooked to the Potter-mania:).

Wednesday, August 10, 2005 2:30:00 PM  
Blogger mE said...

Harry Potter rocks...

I chance upon this pinky site thru friendster and WHOA... what an impressive site...

The HOLY books of Harry Potter is unique to those who have felt the powers of it whereby onlookers often ridicule the faithful supporters (which is us) of Harry Potter and have been labeling us as “Childish” or maybe it’s just me? Hmm…

I have gone through the whole series in amazing quick time and it brought me to a world of fantasy and magic… However, the “MOVIES” spoils everything and in my opinion, the movie is nowhere near the books, considering the fact that they tried to put 700pages worth of wonder into a 3 hour film…

Happy Holidays & Cheers…

Friday, December 30, 2005 8:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home