Thursday, September 29, 2005

da vinci uncoded

Don't laugh but I finally got my hands on the much talked about DaVinci Code by Dan Brown. Half of the world's reading population must have already read it. The book was passed on to me by my boyfriend who usually never gets pass reading the synopsis at the back cover. Full of praise for the book, he had urged me to read it. Truth is, Da Vinci Code got so famous, I feel slightly embarassed reading it in public places. Cliche, you know. But I wanted to check out what the hype is all about.

You may or may not like the book...(depending on your beliefs???) but I was definitely very impressed with how Dan Brown has so cleverly fused fact with fiction and post some of the most intriguing topics in such a friendly and readable format. A master of the word, his writing is brilliant. The plot is complex and engaging...but at some point, the skeptic in me thinks it's just a tad bit far-fetched. The ending answers some questions while leaving others to your imagination. Some mysteries are more tantalising when left unsolved. Somehow, the plot is very clever like that- the questions are raised, even if there are no answers.

Opus Dei, The Holy Grail, the Knights Templar, the background of Leonardo Da Vinci- his life's work, his genius and his bordering on insanity. All these and loads of very interesting nuggets of information that I would never have bothered to enquire on my own...now all presented to the masses in a paperback. The book also talks about the Bible- and how it has been 'edited' to what it is today. Fact or fiction- that's obviously for the reader to decide. One thing is for sure, the book is not short of controversies and it leaves you wanting to find out more. I wished I had discovered the book earlier.

Have you read it? What are your thoughts on it? And while you're at it, why are some of the most brilliant, most talented peope in the world, somehow always a little insane, offbeat or misunderstood? Maybe that should have been the norm. What's a little insanity if you can be a genius?

14 Comments:

Blogger mike_cor said...

Hey there. I was just trotting over some blogs when I ran into yours here. I like. I can tell you are a reader, I really dig the way you write. Best thing about reading some blogs is getting a sense of what the person is feeling as they write. Totally felt that here. Nice stuff.

*adds to bookmarks*

Peace,
miKe

Sunday, October 02, 2005 2:47:00 PM  
Blogger Static Compost said...

I have yet to read the Da Vinci code, Im not sure if I want to. I know what you mean when you said you felt embarassed reading it in public places, thats how I felt when I was reading 1984 by George Orwell. By the way I really liked the way you wrote this post, you weaved your words well, impressive. I don't mean to sound conescending, but I definatley took notice to your writing, and it looks like im not the only one.

Monday, October 03, 2005 4:42:00 AM  
Blogger compassioNAT said...

Hi S.C,

Thank you...Writing this post, I was actually quite inspired by Dan Brown's grasp of the word. I don't know about you but writing is something I always enjoyed doing.

You write well too. I know cos I follow your blog.

Cheers,
Nat.

Monday, October 03, 2005 5:53:00 PM  
Blogger Enchanted Mind said...

*sigh*

I have been totally misunderstood in the recent times !

Does that mean I'm genius par ordinary ;-)

Monday, October 03, 2005 6:45:00 PM  
Blogger compassioNAT said...

haha phantom, i'm sure you're a case of being misunderstood :-)

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 3:36:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i must agree that genius are normally thought to be insane,cause their ideas/theories are too far-feteched for the common masses to decipher ...... nevertheless, those that press on, whom through history we know made great contibution to the world in the past/future to come.....

Thursday, October 06, 2005 11:31:00 PM  
Blogger Melissa Muldoon said...

I loved da Vinci code. I read it and then my husband read it and it sparked some fabulous discussions. The book is full of fictional intrigue and brings up interesting things to ponder about regarding the origins of Christianity...who propagated what and for what motives. Makes you wonder...and question....But, I know people, who absolutely refuse to read the book, refuse to talk about the books concepts and act very defensive when the book is mentioned...I think they are a little ignorant and scared to look to closely as some truths the book has to offer. You should read Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. It is the precursor to Da Vinci Code. M

Friday, October 07, 2005 2:49:00 AM  
Blogger compassioNAT said...

Yes, Anoymous...geniuses are only one degree away from insanity. You're brilliant if your ideas turn out well and crazy if your ideas went wrong. That's the one degree difference and a risk most are unwilling to take.

Hi Melissa,

Strangely enough, I somehow knew you would have read the book and that you would have something to say. Da Vinci Code really put huge question marks in my head. What if all that you've always known were nothing but fabricated lies?

But above all, i think Da Vinci Code is really a story about love between the family members...let's leave it at that for those who have not read the book.

Right now, I'm halfway through Angels and Demons and I am almost certain that it'll be even better than Da Vinci Code. I bought Angels and Demons when i was halfway through Da Vinci Code! I so wanted to read his work again. Any other Dan Brown that you'll recommend? Deception Point perhaps?

Friday, October 07, 2005 2:28:00 PM  
Blogger juliana said...

I read the Da Vinci code a while ago and I really loved it too. Though I come from a religious family I never embraced religion like they did. I could never put all my faith and belief in something that I had no proof of. Though I know I should have taken everything in the Da Vinci Code with a grain of salt, to me it was the first book that gave an excellent alternative view of christianity. One that gave a real blow to the christian way of thinking. I love things that go against so much of what society teachs you and gets away with it. Anyway, those are my thoughts on the Da Vinci code. I absolutely loved it.

Saturday, October 08, 2005 9:25:00 PM  
Blogger compassioNAT said...

Very well put Juliana. I cannot agree more.

More than anything else, Da Vinci Code offers an alternative way of looking at Christianity..and a very compelling one at that. That book really raised some put some big question marks in my head. What we've always taken for granted as truth may not actually be the case. Mind blowing stuff.

Thursday, October 13, 2005 4:36:00 PM  
Blogger Melissa Muldoon said...

Yes, Deception Point is a good read too. But back to Davinci Code... can you believe that Tom Hanks has been cast in the lead role in the movie version...and the part of Sophie will be played by the French actress Audrey Tautou from the movie Amelie (which I loved did you ever see it?)

Friday, October 14, 2005 1:40:00 PM  
Blogger compassioNAT said...

Tom Hanks is Robert Langdon??? Ok, i'm a big fan of Tom Hanks but Robert Langdon...i imagined him to look very different..(admittedly better than Hanks :)

Yes, I've watched Amelie...gorgeous film, very pleasant. I love that show..and Audrey Tautou too. She's charming, quite fitting for Sophie (in Da Vinci Code).

I can't wait for the show! Will it release by this year? Any idea?

Friday, October 14, 2005 5:02:00 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

After all the hype, I finally read Da Vinci code, but about halfway through it the whole history's mysteries thing kind of wore thin along with the plot.
I finished the book, but didn't really need to because I could see the "twists" coming pages in advance.
I even guessed the code on the combination lock at the end, "Apple".
Like I said, it started out good, but I felt like Dan Brown gave up toward the end and tipped his hand to the readers.

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 8:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i thought it was a great book, what he says is entirely plausible. what would Christians think? :))

Friday, January 06, 2006 10:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home