Monday, February 13, 2006

:: skeletons in the closet ::

I have been thinking about how to blog this without losing some friends along the way. My former lecturer just got married to his ex-student. I've met the bride on one occasion before the wedding. Great lady. Pretty, friendly and a very giving person. My lecturer? He is a man I looked up to and whose lessons I always anticipated. He loved a good discussion and every once in a while, tries to stirs that within his student to think beyond the surface. What I liked most about him was that he always kept a very open disposition where he makes things very clear from the start- how he would grade us- very strictly, that is- and all those things that other lecturers really couldn't be bothered with. He was like a friend to most of us. Infact, he would call me sometimes and we could chat up to an hour at length.

Things began to change when it became apparent that he was looking for more than a friendship. This, despite the fact that we were both seeing other people and that he was a good 20 years older than me! Obviously, nothing of that sort ever materialized. I never reciprocate and grew cautious of his intentions. When it became clear there was no room in the romantic department, we sort of became ok friends again. Just no more long chats. He would keep in touch with me once in a while and he even tried to land me an intern position in a well-know media company. That was quite some time back and we kept in touch sporadically. Then, last month, he sent me an email to announce he was getting married to his long-time girlfriend. I attended the wedding, which was a rather intimate, elaborate affair. I was the only student from my school to attend.

The wedding was all nice and dandy and all the sweetest things. But imagine my surprise when I found out during the wedding that he had infact, been married before and had 3 kids from his previous marriage. All this while, the phone conversations, never once had he broached the subject of his kids nor his former marriage. 3 kids is a big, big secret to keep. How naive of me to think I knew him well. We always had the impression this was a man who was too pre-occupied with his work and not really seriously dating. So that was a shocker. I still respect this man alot- he had the smarts, had loads of character and is doing very well for himself. What I could not get over was how well he concealed his skeletons and his reasons for doing so. This incident definitely jolted me abit and let me rethink about trusting people so easily again. Talk about beyond the surface.

10 Comments:

Blogger Emmanuel.K.Bensah II said...

HEY!! long time no write...erm, life is like that sometimes...but one thing I cannot fathom is (married) lecturers and their interest in their students...
I guess that battle to frustrate their prurient desires continues...

Monday, February 27, 2006 11:41:00 PM  
Blogger vevck said...

Aaah now I see that the seeds have sprouted and the plant has grown a long way. I always felt that its the fair-sex who were tough to know & understand, looks like men too are capable of disguising & keep many things about their personal life in a closet.

BTW, what happened to your previous post on u'r blog-presentation, where did it disappear? Now don't tell me its the official policy of your company on blogging that has made u remove that;)

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 12:45:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

dang nats, I would have been kind of upset finding out that this had been hidden from me too. And one of his students? It looks to me as if he was going after a younger girl! How unprofessional.
I do understand though that you can still have respect for him as a friend and teacher. But looking at him as a man has to be harder now?? Wow.
I dont know if I would be comfortable telling him my personal information, that is if he never felt comfortable divulging rather important information. I mean kids are definetly something a girl wants to know about when involved with anyone!

Thursday, March 02, 2006 12:38:00 PM  
Blogger compassioNAT said...

Hey Emmanuel, i think alot of men do make use of their position of authority sometimes...in the wrong way unfortunately. He is not the first lecturer i know to become interested in his students...anyway good to see you again.

Hey Viv, i will re-post the entry again. i removed it temporarily because it keeps surfacing first, ahead of this post! And i can't seem to fix it. geez..

Hulai, that is exactly my point. It's a scary thought isnt it? i definitely look at him a little differently now...not in a bad way. just different. i can't help it.

Friday, March 03, 2006 11:45:00 AM  
Blogger Neets said...

there are loads of these kinds. sad to say but one of my best friend's dad falls in this category.
r u sure he wasnt married while he was trying to get to you so hard?
my friend has seen the letters her dad had sent to his current wife who is just 2 yrs elder to her. the kind of bullshit he would reeel out on those letters + the cover ups. whats amazing is that this father of 3 girls is a great dad, who is more like a friend to his girls and would do anything for them. i guess its like the might contrast you mentioned here- your lect covering up and being a fantastic lecturer.

Friday, March 03, 2006 6:22:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Girl i dont know that i would be able to even look at him with out feeling the slightest amount of disgust! you are a good person! lots of love to ya!

Saturday, March 04, 2006 11:53:00 AM  
Blogger Enchanted Mind said...

Beyond the surface ....hmmmm

We always know only what the other person wants us to know, isnt it?

Saturday, March 04, 2006 7:20:00 PM  
Blogger compassioNAT said...

Hey Neets,

Actaully i've no idea if could indeed have been married when he was became interested in me. if he could hide something like 3 kids, i guess he could hide alot more things.

Phantom, i think you've hit the nail on the head. Ultimately people just want to tell you what they want you to know.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 3:05:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hate it when that happens... the worst part is, you stop believing in people after that... and every second person you meet is with so much doubt.. takes a while to get over it.

don't worry... hopefully not everyone is hiding skeletons in the closet :-)

Monday, April 24, 2006 10:18:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Monday, April 24, 2006 10:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home