Thursday, March 23, 2006

Nepal, Ready or Not here I come!

Sorry, I've been so lousy with blogging lately. I miss it so much, to be honest. Since coming back from Bangkok, I had some days to rest before I hit the ground running again with work. And then I just got carried away in this whirlwind. Hectic!

What perks me up now and gets me out-of-my-skin excited is thinking of my trip to Nepal on April 8. Planning since Jan 06, this trip was a long, tough decision. I have a lot of doubts going there. Namely, the cost, the fact that I'm joining a tour group (I actually prefer free and easy trips and have never joined groups before. But I guess Nepal is different.) and that, it's infact, not the safest time to go- at least according to the papers. Again, I'm not sure how to sift out the news anymore. But my doubts were more than compensated by three other bigger factors- One, I want an adventure. Nepal is a big novelty to me, in particular Kathmandu, an ancient crossroad that completely appeals to my wanderlust. Throw in Pokhara, another scenic destination in Nepal and I'm sold. Two, my very good friend from polytechnic organised the tour and I am bunking in with her on this trip. Three, I like the itinerary- it's a good mix of sight-seeing (80%) and shopping (20%). The trip will also end off perfectly with a 2.5days stop-over at Bangkok- with just me and my friend. It would be my 4th time to Bangkok and my friend's 1st! All in, this trip will take 9 days, (1 week in Nepal, 2 days in Bangkok)- I can't extend it any further given my work commitments and of course, financial restraints.

My parents, as usual, are not very excited about me going on this trip. But they usually resign, knowing how stubborn their daughter can get. I think they'll never, EVER, be comfortable with me going ANYWHERE even when I turn 50. They do however, find comfort in the fact that there are 19 of us in the group- safety in numbers?- and we'll be following a very well-trained Nepalese guide. In my mind, this should be quite a trip- maybe the kind people describe as 'once in a lifetime'. I will definitely post loads of pictures when I return, so do come back :) Ready or not, Nepal, here I come!

11 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

OH my! I am so excited for you and your trip. You are going to have an amazing time. The places that you are going will be very safe, especially with a group. There is a thing going on with the Maoist rebels but it is usually off the beaten path.

We will have to chat before you go and I can give you a heads up on some really great things to see.

Cheers,

Scott

Thursday, March 23, 2006 10:20:00 PM  
Blogger Distar said...

hope you have a fantastic trip! Cheers to you for not falling for the senseless travel advisories. Be prepared to fall in love...

Friday, March 24, 2006 1:46:00 PM  
Blogger compassioNAT said...

Hey Scott,definitely can use some tips for the trip.I know you had a hell of a time there!

Thanks Chris and Distar,will definitely write all about it when I come back! And yes, i'm prepared to be all head over heels:)

Friday, March 24, 2006 7:36:00 PM  
Blogger tristan said...

Nat,

When i read your blog, I felt as if I'm the one who's flying to Nepal on the 8th. I'm feeling so excited for ya. I think Nepal is a really nice place, well, at least something that's Oh-So-Different and distinct from any typical countries we asian who love to leave our footprints on.

I just can't wait to hear more from you about the trip and of course, the photos.

Meantime, work hard in Saffron and heck care about the stabs going round the office. They're just part and parcel in working life.

Lastly, wishing you a safe trip to Nepal, have lots of fun there and BON VOYAGE!

Tristan

Friday, March 24, 2006 7:58:00 PM  
Blogger Enchanted Mind said...

Gosh !!!
You are coming so near to our place? Why dont you just drop into India sometime and yes, we(me,chik,et al) are here to welcome you any time ;-) I remember Chikky talking about meeting you in Nepal.....
As for Nepal, so near and yet so far ;-) I havent visited it yet....Should be doing it soon.....probably this year ;-)
Yes, its got some kind of mystic aura to it - Kathmandu !!!

Have a great time.....and yes, waiting for the pics

Friday, March 24, 2006 11:21:00 PM  
Blogger Douglas Evans said...

Well, you will definitely have a good time there. Enjoy and treat yourself.

Saturday, March 25, 2006 11:39:00 AM  
Blogger compassioNAT said...

Tristan, really miss having you around in the office. Yes, there are always good and bad days in the office, at home etc etc but all things considered, I'm still very happy with the way things have turned out!

Phantom! You're very kind! I would love to meet up wth all of you, if ever the opportunity arises. India is tentalisingly close to Nepal. I realise that...it would have been a perfect stopover if i had a longer break. I definitely plan to go there sometime soon.

Saturday, March 25, 2006 1:13:00 PM  
Blogger tristan said...

Nat,
I would love to go back to saffron. I do have plans to contact raymond for some part-time work from home. However, I'm just worried by the time i get home every evening, i'm half drain of my energy and soul. And this is what i'm experiencing now.

Saturday, March 25, 2006 4:57:00 PM  
Blogger vevck said...

Nat, looks like you have planned to visit many places during this year. Good to know that you are visiting Nepal this time around & I am sure you would love your time there.

R u planning to come down to India and Bangalore in particular anytime this year? Do let me know in case you have plans to visit Bangalore, would be great to have u here.

BTW the book 'The Tipping Point' is an interesting one for those who like to understand the social behavior patterns, theories & stuff.....the only part I dislike is Mr Gladwell likes to feed the audience too much of statistics. Nat, I hope u wld change your decision on going for the book.

Have Fun!....looking forward for your travel logs & snaps from Nepal.

Cheers!
Viv

Thursday, March 30, 2006 6:12:00 PM  
Blogger compassioNAT said...

Hey Viv!

Thank you for that! I will definitely let you guys know when I do visit India. Like I was telling to TLW, India is tentalisingly close!

I trust you recommend good books.will read the tipping point as soon as i get my hands on it.

Thanks Viv. Have a great weekend1

Nat

Saturday, April 01, 2006 1:44:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

just saw this... but hope u had a wonderful trip :-)

Monday, April 24, 2006 10:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home