Wednesday, April 19, 2006

from the himalayan kingdom and back


Namaste everyone! It feels good to be in familiar territory. Thanks to all those who send me greetings and well wishes in the time that I was in Nepal- I needed all that luck.

I returned on Sunday night from one of the most unusual trips ever! Imagine a holiday where your hotel was attacked by protestors, the streets were sometimes empty except for the militants roaming on the roads, you flew out on a rescue helicopter and you wake up every morning waiting to discuss your 'options' about where can you possibly go??? For most, that would fall way short of a dream holiday. Yet despite all of that, I left Nepal with a very heavy heart and a determination that I will return again. And soon. In my 7 days there, I've grew very fond of the country, its uniqueness, its people, its mountains, its simplicity, it's steep traditions -it really is a special place. Every Nepalese should feel so proud.

***********************
The above pic was taken from my hotel room on the first day we were there. By this time, the king had implemented a curfew forcing all the locals to shut their stores and stay indoors. Unfortunately, the tourists were not spared either.As the political unrest grew, the curfew would boil over to Chitwan and Pokhara, two other hot tourists hubs.
The next day, our bus was stopped by a group of militants on our way to another hotel. I took this picture from where I was sitting- at the back of the bus. A protest ahead had blocked the roads and we were not allowed to pass through. We had to unload all our luggage, drag it through the protest and to the hotel which was about 15min away.

The walk past the protest was both exciting and unnerving. Somehow, I didn't think the locals would hurt us. They were not after us. Below, the splendid view from our next hotel, Hyatt Regency makes it all worthwhile. We kept our spirits up. (From left, Guan Da, Frida, Marcus and me. Prior to the trip, I had only known Frida. In the time we were in Nepal, we very quickly formed a bond with 4 other tour members. On hindsight, the trip would have turned out very different if not for them.)



We managed a short trek to the stupa- a beautiful temple adorned with colourful prayer flags. The pair of eyes, can be seen from all four sides of the stupa- locals believe that it watches over Kathmandu. In one of the photos, the locals lined up to pass pails of waters to help out in the renovating of the stupa. Talk about teamwork!Meanwhile, the local children playing around the area provided for many kodak moments. Here, a man sits and takes a quiet moment. The stupa is alot to take in!

But not all is well back in the hotel. The next morning, the Hyatt sign is gone, the guard house was smashed and there was no nothing on the streets but rocks and rubble.

On the same day, the group makes a decision to fly out of Kathmandu to the hill resort in Nagakort. Land transport was out of question given the protests and curfew. The helicopter ride was quite an adventure in itself. We arrived on Nagakort, which is about 2,300m(?) above sea level. Even as chaos boil below in Kathmandu, there was none of that in Nagakort. Below, I love the shots of this family- one of the first ones we saw upon landing. Gradually, we even became quite acquainted with them. There was a lovely little motel cum restaurant that we discovered by chance- such a charming place overlooking the valleys. I love their lemon grass tea- it's hand-picked mind ya!A short walk brings us to a charming resort where we had some great, great, local food. In the evening, the temperature drops to 7 degrees- the coldest I've been exposed to. Our solution? We warm up easily to a glass of wine, card games and alot of laughter.

*****************************
And I'll leave you for now with these parting shots. In my next post, I'll tell you about Nagakort's sunrise and an upclose and personal encounter with Mt Everest. Cheers!

7 Comments:

Blogger compassioNAT said...

Hi Chris, that's a good question you know. At first, I felt quite excited, then it was like shit! it's for real and i began to feel quite tense. But yet at the back of my mind, i think they all knew we were just tourists, not their targets..there was no reason for them to be rowdy to us.

They knew what they were after and they are trying to make a point. Just so happen we were caught right in the middle.

Friday, April 21, 2006 2:16:00 PM  
Blogger Enchanted Mind said...

Oh Boy, that was an really adventurous trip, I would say.....Weird to say adventurous, because, mob protests might turn out to be in any direction any moment of time. They are like this high voltage emotional fuse. Never know when it would trip...
The helicopter ride is what I ahve been wondering since I read this post.....and yes, the hill resort at Nagarkort seems very serene !

Friday, April 21, 2006 3:29:00 PM  
Blogger tristan said...

Welcome home Nat. I've been stretching my neck to keep a lookout for your Nepal posting.

Anyway, the photos are gorgeous and the posting is fantastic.

I just find that everyday life in Nepal is somehow kept in suspense. And you never know what's gonna happen the next moment. Hmmm.. say a roller coaster ride?

Though its a bit of a chaos here and there, still, its definitely amazingly unusual and thrilling.

Beautiful, Beautiful, Beautiful!
Thumbs Up!

Friday, April 21, 2006 11:44:00 PM  
Blogger ELF said...

Seems like you had superb time in NEPAL. The fear was all the excitement. And you left exactly at the right time , cos things are even worse now. And, its a great opportunity that you were on this land when a revolution is taking place. That would be in your memories forever, i m sure abt that.

I appreciate it when you're concerned about the politics of my nation, still , we're yet to see a change. And a nice write-up there about your TRIP. Seems more lively when you write it on the BLOG. :)

Saturday, April 22, 2006 7:09:00 PM  
Blogger compassioNAT said...

Hey TLW, you've got a point there...a mob can turn direction anytime. I may have been too carried away at that time- as they did when they attacked the hotel.

Thanks Tristan, glad you like those pics! I know you've got an eye for such things. it really is the chaos that made the trip all the more adventurous. We got out just in time- the situation now in Nepal has worsened considerably.

Elf aka Nitin- your country has left me so head over heels- trust me i'm not the only one in the group who feels this way. I've returned for a week now and i still think so much about the place!You're darn right it's one trip I'm not going to forget :)I'm definitely following the news closely now.

Meanwhile, you keep safe ok?

Sunday, April 23, 2006 1:24:00 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

Great post. I miss that country so much and am sad to see it in such turmoil. i hope that order returns soon.

Cheers,

Scott

Monday, April 24, 2006 12:17:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

so u finally went to Nepal.. awesome!! too bad about the riots.. but u know wut? u got to see Nepal in a completely different view.. how often does a visitor get to see that? keep traveling.. keep discovering!!

Monday, April 24, 2006 10:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home