Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Let's join hands to give a collective middle finger to all the bad drivers in the world

Bad drivers is not a new phenomenon here in Singapore- you know who they are- fickle-minded drivers, last-second lane changers, no-signallers, speed demons, tail-gaters, road hoggers, impatient drivers, road blockers, drunk drivers and those who can't give way- they are a road hazard in themselves!

I consider myself quite fortunate to be sitting here and blogging after a car accident last night. Sitting at the rear of my friend's car last evening, we were travelling on the expressway when the car in front of us cut into our lane and stopped sudddenly in the middle of the highway. To avoid hitting him, my friend hit his brake hard only to be knocked hard by the cab behind - subsequently, causing a big pile-up jam for the cars behind.

Of course, as rear passengers you can almost imagine our rattled nerves although very thankfully, we were relatively unscathed otherwise. The boot of my friend's car was quite gone though. It was all crumbled behind and we barely made it through the highway before my friend had to call for the repairs and insurance. To make things worse, the driver (in front) responsible for all that mess sped off in a case of brake-and-run. We took down the car plate number though.

The point is, driving on congested road conditions is stressful as it is without bad driving habits. it's also why i sometimes avoid driving on unfamiliar roads and try to plan my routes in advance. (For the record, I drive my brother's car- Singapore is one of the most expensive places in the world to own a car and I don't plan to pay the government more than i already am) I'm not so much a planner-- but i'll rather do that then get cold feet on the roads. It's not fun at all.

I think if drivers work towards a safer and more considerate road culture, accidents and road rage (again a growing trend) can be greatly reduced. Alot of road accidents are entirely preventable-- you'll agree there are 101 better ways to die. But before that, here's a middle finger to all the bad drivers out there and a double for the car infront of us last night.

7 Comments:

Blogger vevck said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 12:52:00 PM  
Blogger mrlivelarge said...

Hi Nat

Thank God you're safe and that you came out of the car accident unscattered! I'm appalled to think that the driver in front of you just sped away without stopping to check if he had caused any harm to others. I hope justice prevails! Thank God for protecting you.

Regards, Livelarge

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 1:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nat, I got this news from Gab this afternoon. Really glad you're fine!!! but....

....did you check out that brain of yours? still working as usual (if not better)? :-D

Seriously, 'm really glad you're unhurt! Take care!

Hazydazy (not so dazy today)

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 11:16:00 PM  
Blogger vevck said...

Hey Nat!

Glad to know that nothing happened to you and your friends after the accident.

I heard that Singapore has some very stringent rules in place & teh driver have good etiquette while driving.

I would say if you can drive on the roads of Bangalore or India and survive, then driving in a place like Singapore wouldn't bring road rage.

Whats happening @ u'r end?
Cheers!
Viv

Thursday, November 23, 2006 7:39:00 PM  
Blogger compassioNAT said...

Hey Guys,

Thanks for caring. haha i did a thorough scan- the same nuts that were loose are still loose- so that's all dandy.

Don't worry about me!

Life can't get any sweeter right now :)

Thanks guys!

Thursday, November 23, 2006 7:39:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

OMG I cant believe, I posted ont he otherone last night, and didnt even read this. Nat!!! I am so glad you are ok!

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 12:43:00 PM  
Blogger vevck said...

Hey! Nat

Wishing you & your loved ones a very warm & prosperous year ahead.

Cheers!
Vivek

Thursday, January 04, 2007 12:28:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home