Thursday, February 24, 2005

One.Step.Closer

It is Thursday, 4 days since my last entry. I've been busy and I miss blogging. Busy with what, you ask?

Concerned friends who are aware of my job situation have been asking me the same questions over and over again. And I find myself repeating the same answers like a broken record. So, to set the record straight, i've decided to blog everything out, get it out of my system and save myself a few breaths!

Since January, I've been working as a freelance writer. Now, I'm working on my third assignment for a local magazine. This assignment is the easiest and most interesting thus far. I've to do research on 8 diseases that used to plague Singapore before vaccinations became a norm. Dieseases like polio, rubbella, tuberculosis- stuff like that. Deadline is next Monday!

Its only my third and i'm just starting out. The Editor, is sort of putting me on a trial, to see if i'm right for the job. (because i'm a newbie in this field). I seriously enjoy what i do now. I love to liase with people, go for test-drives (my first assignment was to find the most popular family cars in Singapore), researching for info, interviewing people, taking pictures and finally, writing and compiling everything in a masterpiece. I enjoy the entire process, running this one man show. Eventually thou, i hope she'll hire me on a full-time basis! (fingers crossed)

On weekends, I teach phonics to a group of 5-6 years old and Creative Writing to a class of 10-year-olds. I've been teaching at this particular enrichment school for more than two years. Honestly, I do like teaching but i've become quite sick of it. I like kids alot but i miss interacting with adults. I felt like i was missing something and thus, embark on a job hunt. That was Dec, 04.

I'm aware of what I like and what I want for a full-time job. I'm going to stay a few years in my future job and I might as well take my time to find something I like- which is to write. Sure, I can settle for something less, but knowing me, i wont stay for long and i'll just end up losing momentum, or worse, job-hopping. All my working life, the jobs that I've taken up, have always been in-line with my interests. That's important to me.

For the benefit of those who just got in touch with me, and the new bloggers i've met, i would like to let you tell you more about my background. In Nov last year, I graduated with an Advance Dip in Mass Comm. Prior to that, I graduated with a Diploma in Tourism Management from Temasek Poly. That was a 3-year course.

While I was pursuing my Tourism Diploma, I worked for 2 years as a Tram Commentator in Night Safari. It remains my best and fave job of all-time. There, i get to write and update my own script which i then present to a tram full of 80 people! Its was exhilirating, to say the least. And I love animals. During that time, I also served a six-month internship in the Singapore Zoo as a Public Relations Executive. I met some amazing people (mostly zookeepers) and came up close and personal with alot of animals including cheetahs, horses, pythons, orang utans! I think i'll post some photos to show off. haha

I'm 22 now. I apologise if all these jobs and educational path are confusing you alittle. I can give you a timeline but who reads timelines? I've had an interesting life because of all these great jobs. And now, I'm impatient to make it even spicer ;)

AND THANK YOU FOR TAKING TIME TO READ THIS.

4 Comments:

Blogger TwistedNoggin said...

And time rarely follows much of a line.

Sounds like a full and exciting life. Sounds like you work hard at it, too.

Much respect to you.
:)

Saturday, February 26, 2005 4:29:00 AM  
Blogger compassioNAT said...

twisted noggins- i try to spice it up so i can blog it out for people like you. thanks for your comments :)

chris- i see we're on the same lousy boat..but u have my vote of confidence.

Sunday, February 27, 2005 1:13:00 AM  
Blogger Melissa Muldoon said...

Ciao Nat! I think that the most successful people, with the most interesting careers, follow a winding path...you see so much more along the way that you wouldn't have seen had you stuck to a straight and narrow one! You have an exuberant spirit and a creative spark, so, with your fresh and lively take on things I'm sure you will do well as a journalist! Good luck with the piece due on Monday and with the job! Melissa

Sunday, February 27, 2005 8:16:00 AM  
Blogger compassioNAT said...

Hi Melissa! i'm so glad you said that..because i foresee some more twists and turns along the way, think very long and windy paths.

that's very wise advice..straight is too boring..

and now, i seriously need to get back to my assignment! cheers,

natalie

Sunday, February 27, 2005 5:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home