Friday, January 06, 2006

Bye Bye BHDs.

My hair is finally starting to look like its former self after all that hair mishaps of 2004. Yes, it took one year, the whole of 2005, to reverse all my stupid hair mistakes. One year of cap-wearing and pony tails to playdown one too many bad hair days. Doesn't help that for almost the whole of 2005, I was reminded of all my hair disasters everytime I look into the mirror. Too bad, I wasnt born a guy or I might just go bald. :-)

Pre-2004, I've always kept very long hair. It's just one of those things- you had a bad tomboy cut when you were 12 and swear never again to go down that road. That changed in 2004 when I decided to do something radical- change what I thought had become such an inherent part of me. Feeling brave, I had gone for a haircut and when I thought it wasn't short enough, I hit the salon again. My friends thought I was going nuts. This time, I chopped it just below the ears. That is ALOT of hair to cut. (It's 2006 now and I still don't know what I was thinking then.)

I grew more and more adventurous with my hair-experimenting. Soon after, I dyed it reddish-brown, changed my mind in a month or two, and dyed it brown. Somehow it came out very uneven (DIY disaster) and turned somewhat blond after a few washes. (I actually have a picture here. Funny I didn't burn it.) I hated it. When it started to grew out abit, my friend recommended me to this artsy-fartsy (more fartsy, really)hairdresser. He layered my hair so zealousy, I had nothing much left by the time I left the salon. I walked out pretty devastated.

To disguise the lousy cut, I decided to experiment with curls. So I did the perm thing. It was all nice and dandy at first. I liked the carefree curls. But that too did not last. In about 3 days, my hair was back to its natural poker straight again. By then, the damage was done. My once shiny head of glory became nothing more than a bunch of parched grass. Yes, it was a series of bad hair decisions and there was nothing more that I could do then to look back at old photos where my hair was once glossier and shinier...nothing more to do but to wait ..wait and wait some more.

One year and lots of conditioning later, my hair is finally starting to look less like parched grass. I think for now, I'm quite happy to just leave it alone.

(Your hair must have grown another inch in the time that you took to read this. Thanks for indulging me. I never knew I had this much to talk about, of all things, hair!)

7 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

Yeah I experiment with my hair all the time too... haha... glad that you are happy with it again though. Very good!

Scott

Saturday, January 07, 2006 3:44:00 AM  
Blogger vevck said...

Hey Nat!

Wish u a Bright & Prosperous Year ahead and also good-bye to your BHDs;)

I have had my share of woes with Hair.From past 2 years have been loosing a lot of hair, fortunately don't have patches, but my hairline is constantly decreasing. Sometimes I completely shave my head & it goes well(thats wat my friends say;))

So, next time u try to Xperiment with your hair,do so with care.

Saturday, January 07, 2006 6:46:00 PM  
Blogger Neets said...

BOY this kind of gave me the scares! How could you put your self thru so many torture treatments?!!! Well the relieving part is that you have found your good old hair at the end of the whole ordeal.
I know how much of thinking i had to do before i decided to straighten my hair for the second time in my life recently... was so shit scared...hair fall, texture, etc. but it seems to be fine till now. I plan on coloring it too, but after reading this i think i need to sleep over the idea for sometime.

Saturday, January 07, 2006 6:53:00 PM  
Blogger Static Compost said...

I must say you are braver than Iam, I rarely expierement with my hair, most of the time I stick to the same style haircut that changes slightly from cut to cut. I go and have gone to the same barber for years. Maybe one day I will expierement, doubt it tho.

Monday, January 09, 2006 7:15:00 AM  
Blogger jessica said...

Man, what a tramatic experience! I'm always learning things the hard way, too. But hey, it's the best way to learn. You'll always have a great story:)

Monday, January 09, 2006 11:12:00 PM  
Blogger compassioNAT said...

hey Scott, short of plastic surgery, hair is one thing we can experiment with so freely!

Viv,it takes lots of courage for a girl to chop off her long shiny locks (ahem...that's me by the way) but it takes even more to get a guy to shave completely. So kudos to that. I love shaven heads...monks look great :)

Hey Nita, i think after all my hair disasters, I'm fit enough to dish out some hair advice :)I hope you're not referring to rebonding because they do have very long-lasting damage to the hair. To colour the hair shortly after straightening can also overload the hair with too much chemicals. Sleeping over that decision will be wise to do ;-)

Hey Jordan, guys can't go very wrong with their hairstyles! what's the worse that can happen? Your hair's too short? in which case you can also shave it off and still look cool. Ha! guys are so lucky- such clear-cut choices.

Monday, January 09, 2006 11:18:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

LOL! did u do that just for the heck of it? cuz, after all that's done, u live only once!! and it's gonna grow back, anyway!

it's kinda weird, but i did pretty much the same bizarre things too.. highlighted it in copper tones, then highlighted it again in *gasp!* deep pink... and then chopped it off... and just cuz this wasn't enough, layered it..!! boy, i've had enough of hair experiments too!!

Monday, January 16, 2006 11:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home